Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Broken Ankle

Please excuse my lack of blogging! Not sure where I've been but it's been way too long since I've blogged.

This past week has been extremely busy for us!

Monday was Valentine's Day - Sean surprised me at work with flowers and homemade cookies! He really is the best! I love that he came all the way down to the city just to ride the train back with me! Since we are on a "graduate college budget" we had a romantic dinner at Chick-Fil-A. Which I couldn't have been happier about! I also bought Sprinkles cupcakes on my lunch break as a surprise for him! Let's just say we didn't need to eat for the rest of the week after all those calories!

Tuesday night we had community group after work with our great friends!

Wednesday was crazy at work and then I flew out that night to Cleveland which is where our company headquarters is located for an all day meeting on Thursday. I got in around 11 and Sean's dad picked me up from the airport and I stayed at their house. I got about 5 hours of sleep, had breakfast with his mom and sister and then headed to the office with his dad. Did I mention that I am working at the same company as Sean's dad? I love it!

Thursday we had our all day meeting, grabbed a quick bite to eat before our flight and arrived in Chicago at 8. My parents got in town at noon on Thursday for a weekend visit and I couldn't wait to see them! I finally got home around 9:30 after the world's longest cab ride home and got to catch up with them!

Friday I was exhausted at work and it ended up being a really busy day! Sean and my parents came to the city to meet me for lunch and then they went to visit the Field Museum for the afternoon. We met up when I was done with work for a great dinner at Hugo's Frog Bar! It was delicious and I enjoyed a tasty margarita with my dinner - much needed after a busy week!

We had big plans for Saturday - lots of shopping and catching up on life. I was so excited! I hadn't seen my parents since Christmas and had been counting down the days until their visit. My mom and I started the day off with a fun run through Glen Ellyn. This was the first week that the sun has been out in ages and the weather has been amazing - the snow is almost gone! We started out doing great then we came to an ice patch on the sidewalk, we walked in the grass to avoid it, then we had to walk on part of a driveway to get to the next part of the side walk and the next thing I knew something in my ankle popped and then I was in the grass/mud. As soon as I landed I knew I did something to it, we called Sean and he came to pick us up. Of course in the mean time someone had called 911 and the police and an ambulance showed up - I was beyond embarrassed and kindly told them that I was fine and didn't need their help! We then made a trip to the emergent care clinic, waited a couple hours (which all I could think about was "I'd really rather be shopping" - selfish I know but I really didn't want to waste the only day I had with my parents in a doctor's office). After the X-rays they told me that my ankle was broken. I really couldn't believe it - I've never broken a bone in my life and I really didn't think it was broken. I could move it some and we thought it would look a lot worse if it was broken. The weird part was that the doctor talked to us for 10 minutes about my injury and what happened before she told me that it was broken - I kept thinking "maybe you should have started out with that news first sister!" As soon as she told me I started crying, I wasn't in pain I just didn't want to have to miss out on a great weekend with my parents and we are suppose to go skiing in a couple weeks with Sean's family so I knew I'd be out on that.

So now I've got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Monday to get an exact game plan (hopefully no surgery is needed and it's a clean break). I'll be getting a permanent cast then too. I'm not allowed to go to the city for work until I have my permanent cast. Getting around the city on crutches should be interesting to say the least! Let's hope I don't fall in the middle of a cross walk!

Though this weekend hasn't gone as I would have planned I know we are beyond blessed with great family, amazing friends, great health (minus a broken ankle : ) ) and I've got some great care-takers right now! Most importantly we serve a mighty God who loves us beyond our understanding.

Below are some pics from today's adventure!

P.S. prayers would be appreciated that I would learn to be patient and sit still - two things I'm not very good at : ) and for Sean as he will helping me out till I'm off the crutches

Please excuse my unpolished toes! Temporary Cast


  1. Oh BLESS YOUR HEART!!!! I broke my right ankle in High School and it is not fun... mainly because it is soooo hard to get around. Word of advice... the crutches are going to really hurt under your arm pits, so wrap a hand towel around the crutches until your skin gets tough... otherwise you will have blisters and bleed... UGH... or at least I did. I am so sorry... that is a total bummer! Sounds like you are doing great though other than that! Glad yall had a good first Valentines Day!

  2. Thanks Lauren! I quickly learned that the crutches are not fun at all! Thankful that I only have 4 weeks on them! Love your blog and reading about all your adventures!